Saturday, November 3, 2007

OFF Belay

My training at the US National Whitewater Center's high and low ropes course continues. Today, I made a major mistake...the kind that can result in possible major injury!

I admit it...I was excited. I was "in my element," so to speak, and so when I went to climb back up the course, entering via a pole with pegs and climbing holds, I didn't even think. I just went UP!

About two thirds of the way, I suddenly heard people sharply calling my name from a platform mid-way through the course. "Laura! Are you on belay?!"

Nope. I was basically free climbing up a 32' high telephone pole. Not smart!

So down I came. I think everyone else was more rattled than I was, but the lesson was definitely not lost on me, and it's not one that will happen again. There's a way that I got out of my head because I was so in love with what I was doing, and as a result, I put myself in a situation that could have had very negative consequences that would have impacted my ability to continue pursuing something I value highly.

So how about you? Where, in your life, might you be acting hazardously? (Is that a word? You know what I mean...) Where are you doing something, without thinking, that's endangering other aspects of your life that are so dear to you, you'd kick yourself endlessly if something happened?

It's worth looking at. Remember, this is about no regrets. Where are you "off belay?"

No comments: